Center for Community Wellness
Health Education, Awareness & Literacy = Healthy Engagement, Actions & Life
Everyone could use a general health curriculum to better understand common conditions affecting their loved ones, to learn the best prevention strategies, to know what questions to ask their doctors, and to know where to go for additional information. These monthly forums led by BWH physician cover a variety of topics relevant to our community ranging from hypertension and diabetes to opioid abuse and stress management. Join us for your monthly dose of health education and empowerment!
These informative discussions are FREE and are currently being held for a virtual audience only.
Thursday, January 7, 2021
7:00 pm – 8:00 pm on Zoom
with Dr. Kelly Schuering, Internal Medicine/Primary Care, BWH
Discussion topics will include:
- Discussing the thyroid’s main function and role in the body.
- What are the signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- What should we know about thyroidnodules?
- Any other questions YOU have!
Internal Medicine/Primary Care, BWH
Thursday, December 3, 2020
Preparing for End of Life:
A conversation between loved ones & caregivers with Dr. Maria Patanwala
- What is “Advance Care Planning” for the end of life?
- What are hospice and palliative care?
- Discuss the challenges that caregivers face alongside their loved ones.
- Discuss strategies to have an open discussion with loved ones around wishes and important documents.
Thursday, November 5, 2020
with Dr. Beret Amundson
- Learn about different types of headaches, when to be worried about a headache, common remedies and more!
Thursday, October 15, 2020
Influenza & The Flu Vaccine
with Dr. Sunny Kung
- Signs & Symptoms
- Prevention Strategies
- The Flu Vaccine: Fact vs. Fiction
- Flu & COVID-19
Thursday, March 5, 2020
Keeping Up with the Kidneys: What You Need to Know About Chronic Kidney Disease
with Dr. Marina Zambrotta
- What is the role of the kidneys in the body?
- What diseases can affect kidney function?
- How common is kidney disease?
- How does my doctor screen for kidney disease?
- My family member is on dialysis – what is dialysis?
- What can I do to protect my kidney function?
- What happens when the kidneys fail?